Friday, May 25, 2012

Would you wear that to a job?

Jeans have become a staple of fashion in our society.  Jeans Friday at the office seems like it's been around forever, not just a couple of decades.

But I never wear jeans to school.

First and foremost, denim is not the softest, kindest fabric to begin with.  Denim was initially designed for the working man in the fields, mines and factories.  Now, people with too much money spend hundreds of dollars on the same comparable pants I can find at the thrift store for $4.
At school?  Really?

This profession involves a lot of sitting.  Jeans and their stiff, unforgiving waistlines are not conducive to sitting comfortably, especially compared to a softer, stretchier fabric.  End of story.  If your jeans are that comfortable to wear when sitting, they're too broken in for school.

But more than anything, I want to be perceived as a professional.  I want to show my teachers, staff, and guest speakers and prospective future employers that I know what it means to dress as a professional.

Some of my fellow students' attire includes spaghetti-strapped camisole tops with exposed bra-straps, second-skin-tight leggings, and "fashionably" ripped shirts.  Some students look like they're going either to the club or to Walmart, but definitely not to school.  I'm not THAT old, but when did people start thinking it was okay to dress sexy or sloppy in a professional environment?

3 comments:

  1. Aha, a topic after my own heart.

    I love casual work environments. You'll actually find that certain companies have made the shift to a more comfortable work settings. Naturally, if it's business dependent on appearances (lawyer firms, banks, etc.), suits and ties all the way baby. But for chill places like tech companies and small businesses, a happy employee equals better efficiency. I work better when I'm comfortable. I'm comfortable in jeans.

    When I own my own business, we will have pajama fridays. It will be mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my pants have elastic waistbands. Aint ashamed to admit it (but I also don't make it obvious either.) I also wear my pants around the waist.
    Hip huggers = butt-crackville, and nobody wants to see that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a paralegal by day, CR student by night and I am pretty sure I only own 2 pairs of jeans. We have a casual Monday in our firm, but there isn't anything really casual about it. I know all the CR's we utilize on a regular basis come in with suits on. When I'm in class, I'm usually headed over right after work - but on days when I don't have to work I come in in sweats with my hair carelessly thrown up into a (probably lopsided) ponytail. I understand your point, but I guess because I have to dress professionally all the time, I take advantage of being in "comfies" when the opportunities present themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete